Friday, May 29, 2009

How can anyone read this neon sign and not sigh and say, Fuck I know exactly what you mean?

Abi recently did a post on the things she misses about London, and I was going to follow suit but then I got lazy. Then I saw that Tracey Emin has an exhibit, Those Who Suffer Love, on for the first time in four years and suddenly all I want is to be transported back to Europe asap. I took a Contemporary Art class this semester, which was really the only formal art class I've taken in college (not counting studio classes), and we learned all about the yBa and Emin's past projects and I know she's controversial and not everyone thinks she makes real art, but to those people I say fuck off, because she does, and also because art is art if the artist says it is, and my brilliant artist friend Molly agrees with me, and we are right and you are wrong.

Um, but no, seriously, I find Emin's work incredibly compelling and really easy to relate to. I think her Everyone I Have Ever Slept With 1963-1995 tent was brilliant, and I actually want to recreate something similar in my own apartment. I would like to take a huge canvas and paint the names of every person I have ever kissed (yes, I keep a detailed list–don't mock me, I'm a writer I need to record these kinds of things). Some names would be bigger than others, I don't know, I haven't really thought the project through yet. But I'd like to paint this canvas and then I'd like to hang it above my bed. Should be a good conversation starter for people whose names may eventually end up on the canvas. Though as Drew, my future roomie, pointed out: once you've got a person in your bedroom, one might assume the conversation has already started. But you know, maybe not. Either way I think it will be a great addition to my new home. Along with the historically Jewish American Girl doll, which will sit on our mantle.

What I'm trying to say is I love Emin's work and I think saying "we are never released from the pain of love" is poignant and sad and true. I wish I was in London to see Those Who Suffer Love. Instead I will go see Jenny Holzer's show at The Whitney. Because I can't miss London too much when I'm returning to New York on Sunday.

This post was rambley shambley. I love art, and powerful women artists, and London, and New York. That's all I was trying to say.

No comments: